We are pleased to inform that the Skills and Fundamentals (SnF) Assessment for 2023 is now open for registration.
The SnF Assessment is a prerequisite for participants attempting the Venturing Challenge Course (VCC). Candidates will need to fulfil the course requirements (Annex A) and will be assessed on their core Scouting skills (Annex B).
Successful candidates’ eligibility to attend the VCC will be valid for 1 year, or the equivalent to 2 intakes of the Venturing Challenge Course, whichever comes first.
Please refer to Annex A for more details on the upcoming SnF Assessment dates and Annex B for SnF assessment criteria.
Registration is on a first-come-first-served basis. Please register your Venture Scout(s) via the MSDS Youth Programme Registration Portal at http://intranet.scout.org.sg. Accepted applicants will be duly notified.
Kindly contact Ms Emily Ho, Executive (Programme) at firstname.lastname@example.org or 62592858 should you require any assistance.
SKILLS AND FUNDAMENTALS (SNF) ASSESSMENT 2023
|SNF Intake||Assessment Date||Closing Date||Venue|
|1st Intake||18 March 2023 (Sat)||11 March 2023 (Sat)||TBA|
|2nd Intake||3 June 2023 (Sat)||20 May 2023 (Sat)||TBA|
|3rd Intake||2 September 2023 (Sat)||19 August 2023 (Sat)||TBA|
|4th Intake||18 November 2023 (Sat)||4 November 2023(Sat)||TBA|
Terms and Conditions
|Eligibility||: Venture Scout (Land/Sea/Air)|
|: Completed Tracker Award|
|Assessment Fee||: $43.20 inc GST ($40.00 before GST) per candidate|
|Please make payment 1 week before the assessment|
|Attire||: Full Scout Uniform with National Scarf|
- Unit Leader is required to register1 the Venture Scout(s) via MSDS Youth Programme Registration Portal:http://intranet.scout.org.sg. Accepted registrations will be notified.
- Full payment is to be made a week before assessment
- A briefing session will be conducted for all eligible candidates. The briefing session is mandatory. It will be conducted online, and the details will be shared in due course. Leaders are encouraged to attend the briefing.
- Upon confirmation of registration, no withdrawal/refund will be allowed once invoice is issued unless the organiser cancels the event. Hereof, the Singapore Scout Association reserves the right to cancel/postpone the event and reject applicants where necessary
1. By registering the Venture Scout, the Venture Scout Leader is deemed to have acknowledged the completion of the Trekker Award Criteria for the said Venture Scout.
Broad Assessment Areas
The SnF Assessment is a summative assessment and candidates are expected to achieve above average performance to pass. The assessment comprises both theoretical and practical components. The areas of assessment are as follows:
- Camping and Campcraft – Candidate will be tested on their skills and knowledge of camping and campcraft through demonstration of gadget tying and real-life scenarios during camping.
- Outdoor Exploration and Expedition – Demonstrate good understanding of the principles of navigation and exploration. Be competent in executing skills required in this area.
- Knotting and Pioneering – Demonstrate good understanding of the principles of knotting and pioneering including materials type, care of materials and characteristics of materials. Be competent in the various categories of knots e.g. whippings, lashings, rescue knots, etc.
- Outdoor Cooking – Candidate will be tested on their skills and knowledge of outdoor cooking and backwoodsman cooking. This includes fire-starting, choosing of pit, food preparation and nutrition planning.
- Scouting Fundamentals – Be well-versed with the fundamentals in Scouting knowledge such as history of Scouting,
key policies, and characteristics of Scouting.
More details on the syllabus and materials/equipment required will be provided to the candidates
after registration is accepted.